Older 14 Bolt Full Float Disc Brake Conversion Kit – Stud Mounted Drums
Upgrade the brakes on your full float GM corporate 14 bolt axle with stud-mounted drums with this disc brake conversion kit!
- Parts are OEM quality (or better)
- Available add-ons include performance rotors and powder coated HD calipers
- Everything you need to do both sides of the 14 bolt axle is included in every kit (except brake fluid)
Every US order includes free priority shipping.
Converting the drum brakes on your 14 bolt rear axle to disc brakes has a lot of benefits:
- Improved braking performance
- Increased resistance to brake fade
- Reduced un-sprung weight on the rear axle for a better ride
- More clearance for wheels
- Improved brake pedal feel
- Easier brake maintenance
Whether you’re upgrading the drum brakes on your old pickup’s rear axle, or adding disc brakes to 14 bolt axle for a project vehicle, we’ve got you covered. And you’ll love your 14 bolt disc brake setup when the project’s done.
Every Lugnut4x4 disc brake conversion kit includes all the parts you need to convert your drum brakes to disc. All you need are the appropriate tools, brake fluid, and a little elbow grease.
NOTE: Not sure if you have a full-float or semi-float 14 bolt axle? Not sure if you have a slide-on drum or not? No problem! Check out our 14 bolt identification chart and you’ll know exactly what you need.
This 14 bolt axle drum brake conversion kit is for full float axles with a stud mounted drum. The stud-mounted drum was the only option available on the GM corporate 14 bolt axle between 1973 and 1987. Then, in 1988, a new “slide-on drum” style of axle was offered (our kit for slide-on style 14 bolt axles is here). However, the stud mounted drum was available on select models all the way up to 1999.
The 14 bolt full floating kit includes:
- (2) GM 12.5″ standard 3/4 ton truck rotors
- (2) 3/8″ thick laser cut brackets specifically for the 14 bolt full float axle (with stud mounted drums)
- (2) GM standard duty JB6 3/4 ton truck brake calipers with steel pistons. Heavy-duty JB7 caliper upgrades are available.
- (2) caliper pins
- (1) set of four high quality semi-metallic brake pads. Ceramic brake pads are available as an upgrade.
- (4) copper washers
- (2) stainless steel banjo bolts
- (2) new inner hub/wheel seals
- Anti-rattle clips
- (2) flexible brake hoses are included (braided stainless steel hoses available)
- All bolts are Grade 8, much stronger than the standard Grade 5 you find in most kits
Please note: You can buy our 14 bolt disc brake mounting brackets as part of this kit, or you can buy the brackets by themselves here.
Also, if you need an 18″ braided stainless steel brake hose, we do not offer them with this kit. Instead, order this 14 bolt disc brake conversion kit without brake hoses, and then add the 18″ stainless steel hoses here.
Interested in adding an emergency brake? If so, we offer calipers with integrated emergency brakes (just select that option above). This will give you a manual e-brake that hooks up to your cables.
14 Bolt Disc Brake Conversion Kit Installation
Anyone with a basic understanding of brake systems will find the installation simple. Our only bit of advice: The rotor goes on the backside of the hub.
Also, we include and instruction sheet and a part number list in the kit. That makes ordering replacement parts easy.
14 bolt full float Single Rear Wheel older style (1973 to 1988), 14 bolt full float Cab and Chassis (1973-1999 this kit is for using this axle with Single Rear Wheels), 14 bolt full float Single Rear Wheel with Cab and Chassis hubs (narrows the axle)
|Stainless Steel Hoses +$20|
Standard JB6 Calipers / Semi-Metallic Pads, Standard JB6 Calipers / Ceramic Pads (+$20), Heavy Duty JB7 Calipers / Semi-Metallic Pads (may require larger master cylinder), Heavy Duty JB7 Calipers / Ceramic Pads (may require larger master cylinder) (+$20), Emergency Brake Calipers +$200, No Calipers or Pads (-$60)